Product Name: Tomato extract
1.Sources and Habitat
Solanum lycopersicum is an herbaceous, usually sprawling plant in the Solanaceae or nightshade family, The tomato is native to South America. The tomato is now grown worldwide for its edible fruits, with thousands of cultivars having been selected. Now China is the the largest producer for this plant.
2. Descriptions and Specifications of Product
Content Specifications: 5%, 10% Lycopene Test by HPLC
Molecular Formula: C40H56
Molecular Mass: 536.87
CAS NO: 502-65-8
3. Indications and Uses
1. Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Lycopene lycopene can help prevent age-related macular degeneration in animals, but studies in humans have produced mixed results.
2. Antioxidant: studies that use a supplement form of lycopene have produced much less encouraging results though lycopene does have antioxidant activity.
3. Lycopene for High Cholesterol Research is contradictory and most studies in humans use tomato juice (which has other healthy nutrients besides lycopene). Whether the antioxidant or other properties of lycopene help with high cholesterol is unknown.
4. Cancer Prevention and Lycopene Studies have shown that a diet high in fruits, such as tomatoes, and vegetables decrease cancer risk. However, the studies are not specific as to exactly what component of a tomato is cancer-preventing. To find out if lycopene, specifically, has cancer-preventing properties, studies on lycopene supplementation in humans need to be done.